An analysis of the sustainability-minded consumer market in the U.S. and suggested steps for improved environmental marketing in the consumer electronics product market sector
Communications and Messaging, Sustainability Marketing
Over the past decade, companies have been introducing a greatly increasing number of products labeled as “environmental,” “sustainable,” or “socially responsible.” These initiatives imply that there must be a significant consumer base to whom these eco-labeled products should be marketed. However, there is no definitive answer as to what portion of the population is interested in eco-labeled products, and it is equally unclear how to best reach these sustainability-minded consumers.
J. Gowdy Consulting was hired to conduct research and create a report that both identified consumer segments by their propensity to purchase eco-labeled products and also proposed specific ways to identify and reach these segments in order to target the messaging of specific Lexmark eco-labeled products.
J. Gowdy Consulting compiled results from five different leading market research surveys that segmented consumers based on their awareness, understanding, and willingness to buy eco-labeled products. We then analyzed the information gleaned from these surveys to report on five sustainability-related marketing topics:
- Summary of how to segment consumers by different characteristics in relation to their concern for the environment and eco-labeled products, knowledge and awareness of eco-labeled products, and propensity to purchase eco-labeled products.
- Number of sustainability-minded consumers in the American market and the number of consumers willing to pay a premium for eco-labeled electronics.
- Key characteristics used to identify sustainability-minded consumers.
- Product aspects that are important to sustainability-minded consumers.
- Recommendations on how to best reach the target segment of consumers.
Our final report was utilized by Lexmark to identify target market segments, create consumer messaging content, and assist in new product development.